Createx Airbrush Colors

Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#21 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by Commander »

I have been workinh bit by bit on the Andromeda since I last posted, using 91% Alcohol and bits of cotton balls to gently "wash" away the color. I don't know if I'd ever do it again on such a long rocket, bit it was easier than the sanding I did on the Mars Snooper I also had the non-curing problem with (which was 80% sanded when I found out about the alcohol trick.

I took the Andromeda out and tried to fix the minor indents in the forward crew compartment using a mandrel for a BT 50 and my wife's iron with the steam setting on. I'm not sure it fixed it, but it did look a tad better.
P8070018.JPG
P8070018.JPG (150.81 KiB) Viewed 8428 times
P8070013.JPG
P8070013.JPG (151.73 KiB) Viewed 8428 times
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Commander
Space Captain
Space Captain

#22 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by Commander »

Here are some pics of the aft end of the Andromeda, which still could use some color removed.
P8070020.JPG
P8070020.JPG (137.41 KiB) Viewed 8426 times
P8070022.JPG
P8070022.JPG (137.84 KiB) Viewed 8426 times
To be honest, at this point, the black Createx has either finally cured, or more likely been dissolved and affected by the alcohol to the point where the paint is no longer tacky. My original hope was that I could just treat the mis-cured segments without having to stripe off all the Createx paint layers. I my have reached that point over time and some treatment. I was hoping I would have more discipline to treat sections of the rocket in different manners to see the effects. However, my patience went out the door and I just started striping what I could. I may try coating the aft portion with primer and then prepping for painting again. I really want this rocket finished..... :(
Commander
Starport Sagitta
NAR No.97971
Trident
Space Chief Petty officer
Space Chief Petty officer

#23 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by Trident »

Well, here it is early August, and I've just gotten to the point of thinking rockets again. We went from installing a new dishwasher in late May, to doing a serious kitchen remodel. Bought all new Bosch appliances after installing a Bosch dishwasher. I think I'm maybe a bit more excited than my wife. (Hey, they are power tools for cooking ...) :)

Then we painted cabinets dark gray, opting not to install new cabinets this go-around. But we did install green glass subway tile on the backsplash. Wow, that was a pain! Old tiles would not come off wall without tearing off drywall, so I got to cut it out a replace prior to tiling. We then painted, and started the remodeling transition toward family room. Ditched the bifold pantry doors, and will build two barn doors to replace them. Shopping now for barn door hardware. Dang, it is expensive! Last big effort was to cut down part of a wall (you know, "open concept" ...) and then I proclaimed August 1 as time to go on vacation. Packed up the car and drove to Glacier National Park. Being a Colorado inhabitant, and somewhat biased when it comes to my state's great beauty, I now proclaim Glacier as the most beautiful place on Earth. :)

We detoured thru Yellowstone on the way home, basically driving thru the park to see bubbling paint pots, and witness Old Faithful gloriously spewing steaming fountains of water. It runs less frequently than when we took our kids there in 1990.

We've been lounging for a couple days, so I thought I'd check in to see what's new, then get started scraping, hammering, sawing, and nailing again. Next up, put down the hickory hardwood flooring in our study that's been sitting there since May. Gave up on my son-in-law bringing his biz partner's flooring nailer, and will go shopping for my own. Then the study will be done with floors in, and all new trim installed, and we can continue the family room remodel.

I guess I'll do something rocketry-related come Winter ...
Lee

Bulds: Estes Saturn V, Super Sky Hook, Farside-X
Awaiting Paint/Detailing: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Der Saturn Max, Bandit XL
luke strawwalker
Space Admiral
Space Admiral

#24 Re: Createx Airbrush Colors

Post by luke strawwalker »

WOW sounds like you've been busy!

Later! OL J R :)
My MUNIFICENCE is BOUNDLESS, Mr. Bond...